Saturday, June 2, 2007

Come downstairs and say Hello (Guster)

This is the year of milestones for me. Not only did I just turn 30 in April, I will be married for 10 years in June. Professionally, I will have full circle with my company.

I started Mercedes Benz Financial in 1999, a few months before the merger to Chrysler was completed and DaimlerChrysler Financial was formed. And just a few months ago we found out that the companies are going to divorce and separate back to the original. With this split, I will be staying on the Chrysler Financial side of the business. I started with Mercedes and I am ending with Chrysler. It’s probably the most interesting thing that I have gone through in my professional career and although I am extremely excited, I am also a little nervous about the changes and loosing the opportunity to see friends and confidants that for so many years were just a few steps away.

It wasn’t until my 30th birthday that I finally decided what I wanted to do when I grew up. However, I had no idea how to get to there; Just an idea of how to get closer. I decided to keep my major in business since it could be considered a catch all but I added a minor in Marketing. I already market and advertise for my party planning business, Know Surprises. My husband and I love to market our favorite musicians on a daily basis. I currently run a fan based website, SydFans.com, for fans of one of our musician friends. As I looked back on my life, I had always a little of a natural at marketing things that I love, so how could I go wrong?

As I thought more about my new found path in life, I wondered if I was as much a natural as I thought I was. What if one day I am given the task to market something that I am not able to find interesting, would I be able to convince others that it was the next best thing, even if I didn’t think it was?

So over the next 10 terms until I get my degree, I will be soaking up as much marketing knowledge as I can find room for in my brain. I will even plan on forgetting some of the math related classes in order to make more room. I hope all of you will stop by frequently and say hello and offer your advise and knowledge.

No comments: